Essentially Ellington Regional High School Jazz Band Festival
Yorktown High School, Arlington VA, 22207
Saturday, January 27, 2018
Information for the Public
- This festival, including all performances throughout the day, is free and open to the Public! SCHEDULE (updated 1/24/18)
- 6:30 pm The U.S. Army Blues Concert featuring the music of Duke Ellington. Ensemble awarded Most Outstanding Band opens the concert with 3-song set!
- Concessions will be provided by the Yorktown Band Boosters
Performance Details – For Participating Ensembles
Download the Regional Festival Details document under the forms section at the bottom of the page for a full description of what you can look forward to at this year’s festival.
- 3 adjudicators will provide recorded feedback. Two adjudicator/clinicians are provided by Jazz at Lincoln Center.
- Post-performance clinics will be provided by members of The U.S. Army Blues and JALC adjudicators. Clinicians will be notified of your performance selections prior to the festival so that they can familiarize themselves with your selections and provide even more in-depth feedback to your students.
- Members of The U.S. Army Blues will provide interactive, section-specific workshops to your students centered on playing in the “Ellington Style.” Make sure your students bring their instruments to the clinics!
- Recognition of Essentially Ellington Outstanding Soloists, Sections, & Band. Awards include:
- 3 Outstanding Soloists (Provided with scholarships to GMU Jazz Camp!)
- Outstanding Brass
- Outstanding Reeds
- Outstanding Rhythm Section
- Outstanding Band
****The ensemble presented with the award for Outstanding Band will have the opportunity to perform their 3-song set to open The U.S. Army Blues concert, showcasing the music of Duke Ellington and other seminal composers and arrangers.
2018 Essentially Ellington Regional High School Jazz Band Festival Judges & Clinicians:
Post-Performance Clinicians & Section Clinicians
2018 Featured Performance
6:30 pm U.S. Army Blues Concert featuring the music of Duke Ellington. Ensemble awarded Most Outstanding Band opens the concert with 3-song set!
- All bands participating in the Festival must join the 2016-17 Essentially Ellington High School Jazz Band Program (EE) through Jazz at Lincoln Center. By joining the free program, schools receive eight original transcriptions or arrangements by Duke Ellington, as well as recordings, rehearsal videos, teaching guides, and other resources. Visit http://academy.jalc.org/ee/
- All bands participating in the Festival must perform at least one selection from Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Essentially Ellington print music series. In addition to the 2017-18 charts received through their free membership with Essentially Ellington, bands may also elect to perform any of the previously published charts in the EE library (over 100 titles!).
- All bands participating in the Festival will receive a 35 minute workshop/clinic following their performance with an EE/JALC-approved clinician.